Attention Potterheads! The official trailer for Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them has finally arrived!
As the trailer assures us, there’s to be wizards, and witches and magical beasts, American slang, and Eddie Redmayne all wrapped up into a spinoff that will test the tides of this fandom. That being said, though most of the characters we’ve come to know and love aren’t present, I have confidence that in the end we’ll open our hearts to this new story, and let good ol’ J.K. open another door to the magical world.
For all you muggles out there, (as well as any potterheads who’ve been living in a cupboard under some stairs) allow me to explain why so many of us are crying over what seems to be “a white dot and some swirly lines on a dark screen” and “that guy I keep seeing but don’t actually know about”.
You see, the fandom that lived, has decided, in light of all being well with Harry Potter and the gang, to pull a classic Lucius Malfoy (from A Very Potter Sequel ), and travel back in time. This is a pretty big deal, seeing as this fandom:
- has been dealing with lack of new content with AU’s, crack ships and steady increase of fanfiction
- has gone into a near Sherlockian level state of madnness (see: tumblr)
- has stated on multiple occassions that they’d pay money to watch a normal day at hogwarts
- Alternatively, a whole 2 hours of Harry doing menial tasks or simply breathing
As you can see, we really, really need this.
Set in America, 70 years prior to the boy who lived and all his glory, the movie is to be centered around Newt Scamander, magizooligist, future author of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, and grandfather of Luna Lovegood’s husband Rolf. It is Scamander who speaks the incantation ‘Lumos Maxima’ at the beginning of the trailer, that works to rekindle the hushed flame of the fandom fire. Evidently let a hoard of magical creatures loose in New York, prompting a fresh, and presumably action filled adventure.
Now, for those of you with doubts your doubts, here are some suggestions:
- If you’re still dissappointed that this is not a marauders movie: https://www.youtube.com/embed/znEOtSKnNbI“>Gathering Storm, a fanmade film is coming soon and looks promising. Additionally, if your patience is being tested as is, I’ve got a long list of fanfiction suggestions waiting to be asked for
- If you’re uncomfortable with a not-quite-hp-hp-movie, you could
- Read the books & watch the movies over again
- Wait till it’s part of the abc family Harry Potter weekends
- not get your hopes up, so that you’re pleasantly surprised
I, for one, have been drowning my feels in fanfiction since Deathly Hallows premiere. I’m totally hyped and at risk of possible dissappointment I’m going to express my total support for this film. This film is a chance to expand our canon knowledge of the wizarding world, and with that, all that’s left to say is: